The house was built for her in 1801 on a new site within farmland and pasture. While it was her home, she shared it with her four sisters, all also unmarried. The property became well known and the More’s received frequent visits from many eminent persons.
The Barley Wood estate was owned by the social reformer and authoress, Hannah More (1745-1833) from 1801 onwards until she moved to Bristol in 1828.
In 1974, the house was purchased by the HAT Group Limited with c 2 acres (c 0.8ha) of adjoining land. In 1975 part of the walled garden including the potting sheds and main greenhouses was sold to a private owner. In the early 1990s, the HAT Group Limited sold its headquarters and Barley Wood passed in 1998 to the Charity ADAPT to become and Drug and Alcohol Treatment centre for the group.